In this episode Dan and Joe speak with the Air Force’s Director of Human Performance and Optimization, Tyler Christiansen. Tyler talks about his journey into the world of strength and conditioning and how he transitioned from a soldier to the Director of Human Performance. Tyler talks about the NSCA’s programs THOR3 and TSAC and how they are used to optimize military training to keep soldiers strong and healthy. We talk about his personal training philosophies and how important the fundamentals of training are for both sports professionals and military personnel alike. Tyler is a great example of how your mom picking your college major can turn into a profession that will impact thousands of lives.
- Tyler’s journey into the world of strength and conditioning
- How scrubbing gym floors can turn into being the Director of Human Performance for the Air Force
- Implementing a research protocol for the military
- The NSCA’s THOR3 program (Tactical Human Optimization Rapid Rehabilitation and Reconditioning)
- The importance of education of the fundamentals through hands on training
- The development of the NSCA’s TSAC program (Tactical Strength and Conditioning) for tactical professionals
- The shift in hiring strength and conditioning coaches for the military
- Physical fitness testing and recruiting for United States Special Forces
- Integration of technology into physical testing of Special Forces recruits
- Tyler’s personal training philosophies
- 00:00-02:00 Joe’s podcast introduction
- 02:00-03:04 Tyler’s background introduction
- 03:05-09:58 Tyler’s journey into strength and conditioning and where he is today
- 09:16-16:21 The takeoff of tactical strength and conditioning and THOR3 program
- 16:22-24:16 Tyler’s fundamental education philosophy and TSAC program
- 24:17-37:53 Military hiring professional strength and conditioning coaches
- 37:54-54:00 Military testing and PT requirements for recruiting for special forces
- 54:00-56:40 Recovery strategies for special force recruits
- 56:41-57:42 Available funds in regards to equipment and coaching for special ops
- 57:43-1:00:43 Integration of NSCA into the military
- 1:00:44-1:02:21 First responder training on the local sector
- 1:02:33-1:13:01 Tyler’s strength and conditioning training philosophies
- 1:13:02-1:18:00 Closing remarks
This episode is brought to you by
Varsity House Gym
a world leader in strength & conditioning.
For more information go to www.varsityhousegym.com.
To attend a Business of Strength Mentorship and turn your passion into a real profession head over to: www.strengthentrepreneurs.com
Thank you to everyone who listens we truly appreciate it! Please take the time to leave a FIVE STAR iTunes review.